Translate

Wednesday 8 October 2014

Sport Fishing vs Keeper.

Dating

I'm pretty sure many of us question the intentions of every person that we find ourselves dating.
We want to know if he or she is in it for the long-run or just for the excitement that happens early in the relationship.
I recently read a book by Steve Harvey called "Act Like A Lady,Think Like A Man" , and thought, "wow!" as I read Chapter 6: Sports fish vs. Keepers.

Personally, whenever I see a man I'm either thinking "good time" or "lifetime".  Yes, you are labeled #keeper or #bleh usually by the first few conversations or dates.
A "good time" person is just for the time being. I look at his body,  his job/academic qualifications and his personality; and I would think to myself, "he's good....for the time being".
A "lifetime" person ,on the other hand, is all the above PLUS I start to think about having a future with that man and I would ask myself a few key questions. Will he make a good husband or father?  What are his short-term and long-term plans?  Is he family and goal oriented? All these questions are going through my mind because right now I'm thinking about having a future with this man and I'm thinking a little bit deeper and beyond the surface.

Some will deny it, but there are some women, like the huge population of men, that is simply in a relationship to have a good time. They get the sex, the money and maybe even the "title" until they're tired and are ready for a new flame!
That is what Steve Harvey referred to as Sports fishing. Like a fisherman, if the person that caught you thinks you are not good enough,  you'll be thrown right back into the sea. Whereas if you're a keeper, that fisherman will take you home, clean you up, make you better and keep you.

To be honest, you never really know if your significant other is sports- fishing or keeping.
The idea of playing with someone's feelings has evolved into something that is becoming a norm to society and it's becoming difficult to differentiate a good time person vs a lifetime person.

If you want a lifetime make sure to let that be known at an early stage of the relationship. Ensure your significant other is on the same page as you are.

-xox
Michel'Lee R. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment